
Over the weekend, Chad and I spent a lot of time trail running with our girls, which was a blast. We went on a few bike rides, too, but did more running than cycling because I do not enjoy riding in heavy traffic on holiday weekends. We also spent a lot of time up at our property. Our house is really starting to take shape, and we are really able to imagine ourselves living there. It is so exciting! They just painted all of the interior walls. The color is great, though it is hard to tell in this cell phone camera shot. It is neutral, warm, and bright.

One day, we decided to have a picnic on our new covered patio. Chad and I had fun eating, talking, laughing, and having a glass of wine while enjoying our view. Unfortunately for Klemmy, our picnic featured both a spectacular mountain thunderstorm and our neighbor once again having target practice next door. She thought the world was ending. Here is poor Klemmy hiding behind some paint buckets in our master closet. She is too precious.

Keiki was a sweet and protective big sister. She is not scared of thunder or gunshots, but went inside to keep Klemmy company in our closet for a while. It was cute: she was concerned and could sense how scared Klemmy was. I love our girls!

Here is Keiki trying to share a seat with Daddy during our picnic. She is so funny. Today is tough: we have to drop the girls off at Mis Amigos for eleven days. They stay in a luxury suite and are well-cared for, but it rips my heart out every time. When I drop them off, they think they are being abandoned at the pound again. Keiki literally screams as I walk away. Klemmy curls up in a ball, looking bewildered. I cry every time. Chad is heading to Seattle for a conference. I am headed to Kona, Hawaii, to collect data for my thesis project. Then Chad will meet me in Kona and we will relax for a bit before flying back home. I feel blessed to have the opportunity to spend time in Hawaii, and am excited to work on my thesis, but it is really hard leaving our baby girls behind. If Hawaii didn't have such strict quarantine rules, I would take them along. They have been watching us pack our bags and look so sad. At least they will have each other. We will call and check on them every day.
