Today I was driving home from work, talking to my dad on the phone, looking forward to my upcoming run on a beautiful warm afternoon, when I spotted a yearling curled up on the side of the road, in pain. Someone hit it, and had heartlessly driven off. I immediately pulled over and called 911, so they could send a Fish and Game warden to the scene. I met some really caring people who stopped with me to help as I waited for Fish and Game. It gave me faith in humanity that people really were saddened and worried for this poor animal who was suffering and afraid.
The compassionate Fish and Game officer had to put the deer out of its misery, which I supported. I could not watch. I hate seeing things suffer, and I knew that the officer was ending suffering, but I still could not witness it. On my delayed run, my heart hurt. I really wish people would slow down.