
Last weekend, Chad I noticed that Klemmy had a fat lip. Her lower right jaw was swollen. This cell phone pic does not really do it justice, but it was the best shot I could get. I examined the area to the best of my ability. I could not see anything wrong with her teeth, and it did not seem to bother her much, so we decided to see if it was a bug bite or sting, and left it alone for a few days. Three days passed, and she was still puffy! So I took the day off from work, and took poor little Klem to the vet. I took Keiki along to ease Klemmy's mind in the waiting room. Unfortunately, Keiki was more neurotic in the waiting room than Klemmy, and did not really help relax anyone. She trembled, whined, growled, and insisted on sitting in my lap (she weighs 60 pounds, and does not really fit!). Klemmy, on the other hand, sat obediently yet nervously at my feet, and was well-behaved.

After the vet checked out Klemmy, he suspected it was an abscess, and he had to keep her for the day to surgically treat it. It was hard to leave her there. She did not understand why she was being led away from Keiki and me. Later that day, I picked up my tough little cookie. I was so happy she did not have to stay overnight! She was groggy, but happy to see me. I was so relieved to see her that I did not even care she got blood all over me in the waiting room. Gross, I know:-). Anyhow, she is doing fine now. She is on antibiotics, but was cleared to run. She literally ran circles around Chad and me on our long trail run today, so everything is healing well!
Sorry for the gross story and picture, but this was a major incident in my week, therefore making it blog-worthy.
