Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My New Hobby



I have decided that my new hobby is going to be gardening. Since I know I am only going to be racing for a finite number of years, I want to take up a new hobby/focus that I can transition to more and more over the next several years. I am feeling very optimistic; just look at my Christmas Cactus! It is blooming like crazy!



For the past few years, I have stuck to cacti, since I know they are hardy and hard to kill (i.e. if I space watering them for a while, they will likely be ok!). Here is my collection in the sunroom of our rental house. I have big plans when we move back up to our property once our house is built: I am going to have a huge garden! I want to grow vegetables, herbs, flowers, prickly pears, and maybe even some fruit. I am so excited to get in to it. I likely will go all-out with gardening like I do everything else: I will be a perfectionist, will be competitive about having the best garden ever, and I will likely get in a bit over my head and try to do too much at the beginning. Oh well...it will still be fun! No, really, I am going to try to be relaxed and enjoy the process of gardening.



My only plant that is not doing well so far is this poor little jalapeno plant that I got at Walmart for 1.99. I guess I should not expect much. Maybe I will dump a bunch of Miracle-Gro on it this week and hope for the best.
Posted by Picasa