This coming week, we are breaking ground on our new house. Yay! Since they will be clearing a new building pad, I have been feeling bad about all the trees they will end up plowing to make room for our home. Our builder suggested that we transplant as many of the younger trees as we could from the building site to other areas of our property. So, over a period of three days, Chad and I moved over 40 trees: mostly pinon pines, but also some junipers and scrub oaks. Some of them were saplings only six inches high. Others were were four feet tall. I wish we could save more, including some of the bigger ones that we physically could not take out of the ground. But at least we did what we could. Hopefully this minimizes the damage of the new building site.
Here is Chad working hard, digging a new hole for a pinon pine tree.
Three trees we planted near the entrance to our property.
Check out the Charlie Brown Christmas-scrawny-skinny-pinon pine that I popped out of the ground with one dig! I hope he makes it in his new spot...
