Sunday, May 11, 2008

Klemmy Just Made My Day



After my wonderful whirlwind trip to Portland, I was definitely tired for a few days. It was good to come home to Chad, Keiki, Klemmy, and even to wacky Elvis (our one-of-a-kind cat). After I took a few days to recover, I had a great running workout (my fastest to date since my running comeback!) and a solid ride, too. I was surprised to come back to such strong training sessions after my trip, and felt excited to begin a training block to prepare for my next races. Fast forward a couple of days, though, and now I am sidelined with a terrible cold. At first I thought it was allergies (I rarely get sick, and who gets a cold in May?!?!?), but I have been bedridden for two days now and spent half the night last night awake, with my sinuses throbbing, my throat scratching, and my ear canals feeling like they were about to explode. Theraflu did little to relieve my suffering.

I am working on giving in to my cold instead of fighting it. I figure if I rest hard now, I will heal faster, and keep it from turning in to something worse. At least it is just a head cold, and not in my lungs. I guess this is another test of patience in my new adventure this year. I have had to work through setbacks of running aches and pains as my body adapts, have had to get used to training very differently, and now I have to work at listening to my body and not fighting it when it is sick. I actually have not been too bummed yet: I have felt too awful to feel frustrated about missing a weekend of training. When I start to feel annoyed about it, that will mean I am getting better. So I hope I feel restless and annoyed soon:-).

Chad is on a run now (the dogs demand a run every morning, or else they are really obnoxious). As he was heading out the door, I could tell Klemmy was reluctant to leave me. She couldn't understand why I wasn't coming, too! Klemmy, since she was definitely abused by men before we adopted her, is very loyal to me and follows me everywhere. She loves Chad, too, but she can't trust a man quite as much. Well, Chad and the girls had only been gone 10 minutes, and suddenly I look outside and Klemmy is at the door. She ditched Chad and Keiki, even though she loves running, to be with me! I think she can tell I am not feeling well. So here she is now, cuddled up with me. We are both missing our Sunday run. Her gesture of coming home to be with me while I am sick really made my day.
Posted by Picasa