Tuesday, May 06, 2008

All Grown Up


My sister Laramie graduated from the University of Portland this weekend, and I am so proud of her. She is my little sister: eight years younger than me. When she was born, I bragged to our brother Geoff that I had "won" because I got a sister, and he had wanted a brother. I was so thrilled to have a baby sister. She quickly became my live doll that I carted around on my hip and played with. A few years later, I became a moody teenager, and she was just a little girl, so we grew apart somewhat. When you are thirteen, you really don't want to have a five year old around all the time. But over the years, as Laramie has grown up in to the wonderful person that she is, and we have become closer than ever. Laramie is truly my best friend. I know I could turn to with any problem or share any joy with her. And I would do the same thing for her in return: if she ever needed me, I would be there in a second, no matter what.

On her special day this weekend, I was searching for her in the auditorium, trying to pick her out in the sea of students. Then suddenly I saw her profile: her eyes and nose and smile. It was the same profile I have known since she was that baby girl I carried all over the place and dressed up. It brought tears to my eyes: there was the beautiful familiar face of my sister, one that I can see back to as a child and as an her amazing adult self at the same time. Laramie, I am so proud of you and love you so much. You are already on a wonderful path in the world, and you will continue to learn and find your way. There is no hurry to figure it all out, either! Enjoy the ride, and remember I am always here for you, and believe in you, no matter where life takes you.

Posted by Picasa