Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Keiki's Adoption Anniversary

This past weekend marked the first anniversary of Keiki's adoption from the Idaho Humane Society. She was a two-time offender (once brought in as a stray, second time returned for not getting along with another dog in her new home). The pound was packed, two to a pen, and as a returned animal, the odds were against her. But while I was killing time on my computer between races at the Joe Martin Stage Race, looking at the Idaho Humane Society's site and www.petfinder.com, I saw her sweet face and knew I had to save her! I called the pound and found out more about her. They told me her days were numbered. Well, I was stuck in Arkansas racing for another week, so I sent Chad to save her. He brought her home, barbecued her ribs, and pampered her until I came home. What a special guy Chad is for doing that! A year later, we can't imagine our lives without Keiki. She is our princess: spoiled rotten, but full of love. Of course Keiki got some grilled flank steak with her dinner to celebrate her adoption. Don't worry, Klemmy got some, too!

Keiki (pronounced kay-kee) means "child" in Hawaiian. Since Chad and I love Hawaii and had a great vacation there together, we decided to give our blonde girl a Hawaiian name. We call her many names, though: Keiki, K1 (Klemmy is K2), Keik and Bake, Cupkeiki, the Boss Lady, and Turks and Keikos, to name a few. She has been such a joy! We love you Keiki...happy anniversary sweet girl!

I was too sick over the weekend to celebrate properly, but I am feeling better today, and am giving her lots of love. By the way, I rode the trainer for 30 minutes and ran with the dogs for 7 minutes today. Hopefully I will be able to build up some more tomorrow. I can't wait till I can go on a real run with my dogs again, especially since it is Keiki's favorite thing to do (along with swim, eat, and sleep!).
Posted by Picasa