Sunday, October 01, 2006

Good Samaritans

Yesterday I set out to have another big adventure on my cyclocross bike. This week, I bought a Ridge-to-Rivers map of the Boise trail system to plan my route. I also studied my Idaho atlas of all the fire roads in the area. With these two maps, I had elaborately constructed an amazing loop to attempt. I was so excited: it was going to be beautiful, and I was thrilled to see how the roads connected. I felt especially excited to ride in the forests near Idaho City now that I had invested in a MTB rear derailleur and a 32-tooth cassette this week, too. Climbing was going to seem much easier with that gearing!
I was enjoying the amazing final day of September: it was 85 degrees and sunny, and the bright aspen leaves among the pines were amazing to take in. I was happily trucking along on Grimes Creek Road when suddenly my back wheel completely locked up!!! It was like someone had stuck a broomstick between the spokes. I started skidding along but somehow managed to stay upright. Luckily I was on the only flat stretch of road of the whole ride when this happened! If it had happened three minutes earlier when I was ripping down a descent, I might not have been so lucky.
When I stopped, I tried to figure out what the heck had just happened!?!? That was when I noticed my brand-new rear derailleur was lodged in my wheel. It was bent and a spoke was damaged. Shoot! I was in a middle gear and was not even shifting when this happened. If someone can explain this, please let me know!!!
After looking at it, I decided I better get a ride home. Even if I fixed it, I did not want to risk having it happen again when I was descending home. This is when it hit me that I had no cell service. I could not call family or friends for help. Great!
Within a few minutes, a white Ford truck slowed down and the couple inside asked if I needed help. I explained my situation to the couple, and even though they were camping for the weekend right there at Grimes Creek, Kip and Kelly offered to give me the 30+ minute drive back home. Here it was, a perfect afternoon, and they kindly disrupted their vacation to rescue me.
Kip and Kelly were so nice and down-to-earth. They restored my faith that there are really good people in the world, even though the evening news often tells a different story.
My bike is now back in the shop and hopefully I will have it fixed free-of-charge! I had just picked up and paid for brand-new parts and labor Saturday morning before my ride. But when I start to get frustrated at the bike shop or the inconvenience of being stranded yesterday, I think of Kip and Kelly, and how they went out of their way to help a stranger, even if it took a chunk out of their afternoon. Thanks guys! You have some good karma coming your way, I am sure of it. And now I am going to "pass it on" and do a good deed for someone else! It will be like the movie Pay It Forward.