Saturday, March 06, 2010

Oh Boy...



I blogged about getting a hair cut a few weeks ago. I was really happy with it. I had "face-framing layers" and it looked cute and stylish. For about two days. Then I got back in my rut of wearing it in a pony tail.

I like pony tails: they are very practical for my active lifestyle. But I longed to look a little different with my pony tail! So...I came up with a brilliant idea. At the beginning of spring break, I would cut my own hair! I would give myself bangs! That would really change up my pony tail! I have not had bangs since I was like 12, so it would be kind of fun! And if I did it myself, I would not have to pay for a second cut and style in two weeks. And if I hated it, I would have all of spring break to figure out how to fix/hide what I had done to myself.

"How hard can cutting hair really be? I watched the hair stylist last time, and she made it look so easy! She could even carry on a whole conversation with me at the same time," I had thought to myself.

So fast forward to last night...the first night of spring break! I started out trimming...and then had to cut a bit more. Uh, oh...uneven! Must cut more to even it out. Uh oh...one side has more cut than the other. Must cut more to fix that. Uh oh, I just cut a lot more of my hair than I was planning! Ok, I better stop before I end up with a mullet. Oh no, too late! I kinda have one! *&%$#!!!



So here I am today checking out the damage. Up close, it is pretty bad. Uneven for sure. And obviously very amateur. No hair stylist would let someone leave her/his chair with a cut like this! I kind of look like I belong in the movie Dumb and Dumber. I have Jim Carrey's bangs for sure! But for some reason I still kind of like them. It is a change! And I am happy I took a bold risk.

It is only hair. It will grow back. My friend Michelle lost all of her hair while she had cancer. That keeps it in perspective. Especially when I have the urge to scream while I look in the mirror. I bet she would laugh at this story.

I think I will sit with it for a few days. Maybe laugh about it. And then I will decide if I need to pay for the second hair cut that I was trying to avoid paying for.

Posted by Picasa