Sunday, February 28, 2010

Michelle...



On Tuesday, February 23, 2010, my dear friend Michelle Bono passed away after a courageous and trying experience with pancreatic cancer. Michelle was a gracious, welcoming host to me in Kona in 2007 while I trained for my cycling season. She let me stay in her home while I trained, despite never meeting me beforehand. That speaks of her character. She became a true, loyal friend.

Our dog Miko was adopted and named in her honor. Once she became really sick last fall, I wanted to do something in her honor (hence the adoption of our third dog!). Michelle was an animal rescuer and advocate as well, so it seemed like a wonderful tribute to her. She got a kick out of our menagerie of animals, and I had hoped she would get a chance to meet them. I hope she can see and smile at them all now.

Michelle became the focus of my thesis for my M.S degree after her first round against cancer. Her story was truly an inspiration, despite the final outcome. Michelle, thank you for all you taught me about life. Thank you for making a difference to me and so many others. I feel so lucky to have known you. You faced cancer with such dignity and courage.

The Aishel House provided Michelle with housing and support during her cancer treatments at the MD Anderson Center in Houston, TX. They provide services to patients and their families regardless of race, religion, creed, or sexual orientation. It is a wonderful charity that is an example of what I believe religion should be about: helping others and unconditionally accepting others. I plan to make a donation in her memory and hope others (regardless of if you knew Michelle or not) will do the same.

Michelle, I look back at this picture of you, Chad, and I while we enjoyed life in Hawaii last June. You were so full of life. Cancer could not take that from you. I will never forget the impact you made on my life. Mahalo for your friendship! I love you!

Posted by Picasa