Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Smiling Along The Way



As you know, recently I raced in the SoBe International Distance Classic Duathlon in Miami Beach, Florida. This picture was taken of me coming across the sand along the beach to the finish line, smiling. Of course I was smiling because I won the race, and I won't lie, coming in first is fun, no matter what the race is. But I was also smiling at the big picture: this year I took a risk and tried something new. There was a comfort zone for me in bike racing, even though I didn't enjoy it. Though deep inside I knew I wanted to run again, and wanted to have a new challenge in the discipline of multi-sport, it was scary to leave bike racing behind. But running on the beach to the finish line in Miami, feeling strong and happy, I knew the risk was worth it!

My goals for this year have been simple since I was entering a new sport: have fun, learn a lot, keep improving and challenging myself, and...if all that came together, try to get a qualifying spot at Duathlon Elite World Championships! I think any active person, whether they are a serious racer, or a recreational athlete who wants to be fit and healthy, can relate to those goals: make it enjoyable, but at the same time push ourselves further and have a lofty goal or two along the way!

Whether you are training for a big cycling race, or an Ironman, or want to finish a century ride, compete in a 5k, or simply make it up your favorite hometown climb in a certain amount of time, we all have goals we focus on, and keep us going. At the moment of this picture on the beach, I realized I had accomplished many of my season goals, although I still have big races ahead! I am having fun out there, and am learning and challenging myself in every race. I am also finishing well in my races, and seeing improvements, which is always a bonus.

And not long after this race ended I learned that I met my lofty goal for 2008: I was one of three elite females selected by USA Triathlon to race in the ITU Long Course Duathlon World Championships in Geel, Belgium on August 10th, 2008. As I start training hard for the World Championships in Belgium, I will keep smiling along the way. So to all you athletes, whether you compete in races or just challenge yourself for fun on your own, smile out there, as you are pushing yourself toward your goals.
Posted by Picasa