Sunday, April 13, 2008

Powerman Alabama: The Good and The Bad


This morning I made my professional multi-sport debut and raced in Birmingham for the famous Powerman Alabama race. The picture above was taken post-race while tired and sweaty, in my new Verge racing kit. I have mixed feelings about my Powerman experience, so I made a list of the good and bad parts of this trip so far. Check out the list below.

Ok, first with the good stuff:

1. I got to race in my new cute racing outfit from Verge! Thanks to Kurt for sending it just in time to make the trip. I love that it is girly and pink and cute. I like to look feminine when I race: it offsets the gasping for air, spitting, and snot-blowing that can occur out there. I even got a compliment after the race from some women: they wanted to know where they could buy one just like it. So yay to Verge, and to my other sponsors whose logos are on my kit!

2. I have never been to Alabama, or the deep South before, so after this trip, I can check it off my list.
3. I had grits yesterday. Not sure what all the fuss is about (it is kind of like Cream of Wheat) but I would eat it again.

4. I finished fourth in the elite women's category in a time of 2:44, against some fast competition, and several seasoned Powerman pros.

Ok, now for the bad:

1. I finished fourth in the elite women's category in a time of 2:44. Though I am trying to not have set expectations this year, since I am new, and my running is taking some time to get back, I still thought I would go faster than this. Who knows what exactly happened...it could have been the big travel delays I had, or just an off day. I felt relaxed on the first run, just so-so on the bike, and like molasses on the second run. I will try to look at it and learn from it, but not make too many excuses. It was just one of those days!

2. The top three women unintentionally cut the first run course!!! They turned too early and chopped off a section. They did not backtrack after they realized what they did to fix their mistake. They did not get disqualified. They were given a time penalty. I was running with another racer about 20-30 seconds back at the point where it happened. We rounded a corner, and suddenly the three girls ahead of us were gone! Later on an out-and back part of the run, they were so far ahead of us! In the course-cutters' defense, it was a bit confusing out there. But they had all three done this race before! Weird.

Last night I was a nerd and was studying the map like crazy. There were lots of turns on the course, and I wanted to make sure I had it down. Once my bike finally made it here yesterday, I even rode the run course so it would be clear. That is a racer's responsibility. I have messed up with that in a bike race, and am now very careful. Speaking of bike racing, these racers would have been SOL if they made this mistake in a bike race! I was surprised that the officials in this sport were so sympathetic.

I am not saying I would have won the race if the three girls ahead of me would not have cut the course. They are all great athletes and were running faster than me. However, it was tough to have them suddenly dramatically ahead. They also got to run a shorter distance, and I would have liked to have had them in sight more on the bike. And as a pro, you really should study the course! But I guess that is the way things go at this race.

Well, at least I have twice as many pros as cons! Now it is time to take a hot bath, maybe do a little shopping (since I do not have any malls at home), find the cafe' from Fried Green Tomatoes (which used to be my favorite movie when I was 14 or 15!), and relax.