Monday, April 14, 2008

A New Day

Right now I am packing up my stuff, and getting very excited to head home to New Mexico. Though this trip had a few things I was bummed about, I woke up with a new perspective today. First, it dawned on me that the longest race I did as a runner many years ago was a 10k! So yesterday's 10 miles of running (on top of all that cycling!) was a first for me. So considering I am building my running up this year, I can't be too impatient. Secondly, one of my main goals this year is to have fun! I am not going to worry about people going off course or whatever: I want to have fun regardless! And third: I got an email from a dear host family of mine from years back. Her mother passed away last night, and she lost her father just a few days before that. Racing of any kind is a way we can celebrate our health and being alive! We should savor each race (and each day!) as a gift: some people cannot race, and would love to have the health and life to do so. Being reminded of this is another reason why I am really looking forward to going home and seeing my family.