Today I left Idaho for the traditional beginning of the North American bike racing season...the California races. They happen every year in March and mark the beginning of the National Racing Calendar. All the teams are anxious and want to make a good first impression for the year: for their sponsors and to rival teams. In the past few weeks, I have been anticipating my journey to California. It has been coming up a bit too soon for my liking, since I had knee surgery last month. But on a positive note, I have been excited to meet my new teammates and escape winter.
Last week I kept bragging to all my friends in Idaho that winter was officially over for me on Friday March 3 when I headed to California. Well, today karma definitely got back at me for being a bit too cocky about leaving cold weather behind. I arrived in Fresno this morning to torrential downpours and freezing temps! There has even been tornado warnings around the area. Today weather.com listed the "feels like" temperature for Boise at 48...when I checked Fresno's it was 38. How cruel!
This afternoon Sue and Sarah braved the downpour and ventured out for a ride. They came back soaked! I swear Sue could wring gallons of water out of her gloves! Audrey and I took turns on the trainer. I wanted to spin the travel out of my legs a bit. Of course after we put in boring trainer time and the other girls suffered in the storm, the sun came out! I love when that happens.
Hopefully the storm got everything out of its system today so the weekend races will be dry and sunny. Let's all keep our fingers crossed for that...
One more thing: I took a classic pic of Sue and Sarah after their ride. They looked wet puppies. But I lost the picture in my camera. It is too high tech for me. So if I find it, I will post it later.
Happy warm, dry riding everyone!