I have a lot to write about! So much has happened since my last post...Dotsie broke her collarbone with six laps to go in the crit, which was such a bummer. Dotsie is a fighter and I have faith that she will be back in the mix soon. I managed a 4th place finish on the last day after making the break of climbers, moving me up to 5th overall. I am happy that my fitness is returning. I see improvements in myself every week. It has been a challenge to have knee surgery so close to the start of the season, and it is nice to see that my body is finally ready to race.
This slow start to the season has taught me a lot. It forced me to be more patient, which is a virtue I struggle to possess. And it has forced me to reflect on why I race my bike, and why I started racing my bike in the first place. I remember the pure joy I used to feel from pushing myself past my preconceived limits. And I remember when improving every race felt so exciting and promising. I want to get back to those feelings and have that perspective again. So that is my goal for the rest of the season: to recognize and savor my successes and improvements, and to race because I love it.
I have had a great week at home. I celebrated my birthday with my mom, which was special. On Tuesday I head to Minnesota to race my bike. And my goal for Nature Valley: to have fun on my bike, be excited at my improvements, and to race to my capacity. That is the whole point, right?