On my drive home to Boise, I stopped at the Kolob Canyons in Zion National Park and walked around a bit. It was gorgeous! It had just snowed the day before, and the contrast of the bright white snow on the rich red rocks was beautiful. It made me miss Durango. I would have loved to go for a longer hike, or climb up the road on my bike, but I had a long way to drive. Someone should organize a hillclimb time trial on that road. It would be sweet!
When I was hiking I came across a cactus covered in snow. I don't know why I think that is so cool, but I do! I used to see this phenomenon when I would run by Horsetooth Reservoir in Fort Collins. I would get excited every time. It is sort of like two climates or two worlds colliding. This one sort of looks like it might be dying though.The Park Ranger said the other part of Zion is more popular to tourists. Maybe that is why I liked this area so much. I had it to myself! I prefer being out in nature alone. One time I hiked on the Long's Peak trail In Colorado and I literally saw hundreds of people on the trail that day. That makes it seem not as natural. So walking around Kolob Canyons in the tourist off-season is definitely my style!!!