Yesterday I got my left knee scoped. Not exactly what I had planned for January training, but sometimes injuries happen. I would rather have it happen in January instead of June. It is a long racing season, you know.
It turns out I had a 6 mm growth of cartiledge under my kneecap. It was a pesky bugger that needed to go! Luckily I have a great orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Walker at the Boise Orthopedic Clinic. I have faith that he will get me rolling on the road again in no time. Unfortunately, this means I won't be going to the track camp in early February that I was SO excited about! But my focus is being ready to race with my wonderful new team in California in March.
Thanks Dr. Walker for the kick-ass scope. I barely feel any pain, and there is very little swelling. But I do have to take it easy through the weekend and keep my leg propped up. I have already started rehab exercises to help my range of motion come back quickly. I will be back doing easy spinning on the bike in just a few days. I will be so excited to ride next week! Sometimes little setbacks like this help remind me how much I love riding and racing, and how I should never take it for granted.